C Class

Hi
As I'm approaching retirement, I'm looking at getting my 1st Mercedes to replace my current 9 year old high mileage Volvo V70 Auto and I'm looking
particularly at C Class's built 2005 to 2007.
Current favourite is a 2005 C 220 CDI Classic SE Auto Estate (after the V70 I really like estate cars), although the 200 Kompressor might be nice.
Any one particular model better than all the rest for reliability and running costs?
Any thing special to look out for on any particular model?
How does the 220 Diesel go and is it worth getting?
I currently have a small caravan, although I am trying to sell it at the moment, so that needn't be a deciding factor.
I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
He's a dwarf? I always said you couldn't trust them little buggers! He fooled
me all right, Captain, the little sod must of lied about his height! - Guards!

2005)
Tickover)
about the same in the end and as we visit France a least once a year

or performance.

Dori, thanks for your thoughts. Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 18. "It worked
yesterday."
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I do have the AMG version aka 240D w/72PS ;-)) IIRC you had a 60PS 200D, didn't you?
And not that it is of any importance, but I found the first C-Class (W202) the best, the successor W203 I find not so great build-quality wise. And the current version W204 looks better than than the predecessor, but IMHO it will look outdated (too) soon.
Juergen
Guten Abend...
Maybe I did have 60 PS. Was that the upgraded version from 55 PS?
I guess your super sports 240D had the 72 PS.
In many ways it was the best car I ever had. I was young(ish), it was my first new car, it was a Mercedes and, above all, was a company car...
{It was my second car, but the first was a used Vauxhall Cavalier and a drain on my private (and slim) wallet.}
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
You should be O.K with any recent C Class after 2003. The decision between diesel and petrol is a matter of mileage covered. The petrol 200K is quite economical; 40 ish on along journey, you might see 50 with the 220CDi, so you can work out the break even cost. service intervals are different (more frequent) for diesels.
Ash

ash burton wrote:

to the 5 speed auto gearbox and returns over 51mpg on a long run.

John,
That's the same spec as the car I drove today (although mine is [will be] on an 05 plate), so it's good to hear someone's real world experience.
Thanks
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 18. "It worked
yesterday."
Richard no problems, although mine is a on an 02 plate I have been very happy with it except for having to replace both rear springs in the last two years.
I hope your 05 220 CDI Estate gives you many happy miles of motoring.
John
Richard Cole wrote:

Thanks for that. My annual mileage isn't high (10,000 miles pa) and I don't try to be an especially economical driver, but as I said to Dori (above) I do go to France quite regularly (and will be doing some more once I retire), and that is where I hope to do most of my mileage next year.
The car I tested today has automated variable service interval feature, with 9,000+ miles to go, so that should be the best part of a year.
Thanks
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 18. "It worked
yesterday."
You would probably save about 200 a year at UK fuel prices with a diesel, and 400 at french fuel prices, based on 10000mls pa.
Ash

Thanks
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
CINEMA goers. Please have consideration for pirate DVD viewers by having a
pi$$ before the film starts. - 'Viz' top tip

Pi$$ on the pirates camera saves a long walk.
How else do you expect to get it on YouTube?
DAS
"Spam away" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news.telus.net...
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:45:44 +0100, Richard Cole

the 05 CDI car above. Now I look forward to many years of happy motoring.
Thanks guys
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
You know, I used to think I was stupid, and then I met philosophers. - 'Small
Gods' by Terry Pratchett