C-class cornering lights - UK police not happy

I have C200K Estate, 2005 UK model with bi-xenon headlamps and the cornering light function which activates the appropriate fog-lamp when cornering at slow speeds. Twice now, Mr Plod has stopped me and asked
why I have one fog lamp switched on after they saw me driving slowly around a corner.
I explain how the function works and that the car is UK spec. No tickets issued yet (!), but a comment from one of them about him "having to check the construction and use regulations".
Any thoughts? Are these fog-lamp cornering lights actually illegal in the UK? Why does Mercedes provide this option for UK use?
Thanks, Wychwoods
wychwoods wrote:

Yes, HE has to know the regulations - that is part of his job: he gets paid for knowing.

Perfecty legal: ECE regulation 119, in effect since April 6th this year, that is more than hlf a year...
See also e.g. the English section at page 2 of http://dynaview.hella-online.com/download/Corneringlight.pdf
Juergen
"Juergen ." wrote:

I buy an _a_ to make it that is more than half a year...
Juergen
Juergen, Thanks - that is really useful. I will be carrying a copy of the Hella leaflet in the car in future to show Mr Plod when challenged. Cheers, Wychwoods