C-class cornering lights - UK police not happy

I have C200K Estate, 2005 UK model with bi-xenon headlamps and the cornering light function which activates the appropriate fog-lamp when cornering at slow speeds. Twice now, Mr Plod has stopped me and asked why I have one fog lamp switched on after they saw me driving slowly around a corner.

I explain how the function works and that the car is UK spec. No tickets issued yet (!), but a comment from one of them about him "having to check the construction and use regulations".

Any thoughts? Are these fog-lamp cornering lights actually illegal in the UK? Why does Mercedes provide this option for UK use?

Thanks, Wychwoods

Reply to
wychwoods

Yes, HE has to know the regulations - that is part of his job: he gets paid for knowing.

Perfecty legal: ECE regulation 119, in effect since April 6th this year, that is more than hlf a year...

See also e.g. the English section at page 2 of

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

I buy an _a_ to make it that is more than half a year...

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Juergen, Thanks - that is really useful. I will be carrying a copy of the Hella leaflet in the car in future to show Mr Plod when challenged. Cheers, Wychwoods

Reply to
wychwoods