C-V Boot Replacment?

I just saw that the CV Boot has been ripped away on my '83 380SEL at the differential.
How hard is it to replace? Did all my differential fluid leak out? What do I put in diff?
Should I grease the CV joints before replacing boot or will diff fluid do that?
I just hope the CV joint and differential is not damaged. Last time I checked was a year ago.
TIA, Kent
CV Joint has its own grease... no dofferential fluid is shared.
I haven't replaced the CV joint boot on any MB yet.

The CV joint has it's own internal grease supply. Replacing the CV boots on the older Mercedes cars is not an easy thing to do. Mercedes has a service tool to crimp a new can and boot on the the CV joint. I have yet to find a rebuilder who has the factory tool and knows how to rebuilt it right. I've been replacing the entire half shaft on my older cars when the boots break. On the 123 body cars, I can buy a new half shaft with both CV joints for $250.

on
service
I've
break. On

$250.
Thanks for info. Replacing the half shaft may not be bad, assuming it is just bolted on at each end. I will look.
-Kent

I believe the way they are attached on your car is with a circlip at the rear axle and a bolt at the wheel. The later cars are different. You will need to remove the differential cover to pull the circlip on that end. The wheel carrier has a bolt retaining the halfshaft. Both ends of the halfshaft are splined. The usual practice is to jack up the axle and let the wheel carrier hang down. If you need parts sources, drop me an e-mail.