C230 Advice

I have a Merc C230 Kompressor Sports Auto. When I brake, no matter what the speed, I get a "juddering" sensation which seems to be running through the car. The front brake discs were changed on the last service, about 3 months ago. I got the garage (non main dealer) to check that they hadn't warped, which they hadn't and they replaced the front pads for me. They thought it was the prop shaft coupling, that was replaced but still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
ChrisDoc

Try putting it in neutral before braking to isolate any transmission issues. Also, what about the rear discs? They could be a problem also.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

yep rear disc is a strong possibility.

Reply to
Tiger

they

pads

transmission issues.

I have put it into neutral and then used the brakes, I still get the judder. I'm trying to contact my mechanic to see if he looked at the rear brakes. I'm trying to avoid the £90 an hour fee that the main dealer wants to look at it!!

Thanks for your advice

Reply to
ChrisDoc

try using just the emergency/hand brake CAREFULLY. If this produces the judder also, then it's definitely the rear brake that is causing this.

NB: This presumes the handbrake/emergency brake actuates the same calipers/disc as the hydraulic brake... I don't know if this is actually true in your car.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I doubt it. For most cars, the parking (a.k.a. emergency) brake is a separate manual set of small brake shoes that contact a drum that's part of the "hub" of the rear discs. This is done for several reasons, but mainly to isolate the manual emergency system from the hydraulic system that is controlled by ABS/ESP, etc.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill