C230 kompressor

I have a 2003 C230 Coupe with the 1.8l and a 6-speed manual. Last fall, I had teh car into the dealer, b/c it would shake violently at an idle, and then the check engine light came on.

Now 6 months later it just did the same thing. Int the past month, I have replaced the door lock actuator, had it in for service and engine software upgrade and now this. I have been lucky so far b/c of warranty, but I believe the car to be vastly inferior to the Japanese. My Lexus GS300 is a 2001, and gives no problems.

Is this problem with the shaking/engine light common?

Reply to
russellr1

What did they do to fix it the last time?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Mine suffers from the engine light coming on. It used to come on and then go off before I got to the workshop to have it looked at. Then one day it was on when I was driving past so i went straight in and they diagnosed a faulty oxygene sensor. No charge to replace it as it was under warranty. However, I still get it happening. Especially if I accellerate hard while turning right (like at a junction) It makes me think its supercharger related but the system is not storing the fault information. Its no big deal but very annoying. They have assured me there is no problem with the engine that they can find but its going to be investigated. My hunch is its wiring related somehow as the car still sounds fine and behaves normally.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Overfilling the fuel tank (adding one or more tries to get a little more fuel into the tank after the first automatic click/shutoff) causes liquid fuel to back up into the emissions tube on the fuel filler neck. The liquid fuel saturates a relatively large amount of activated charcoal in a cannister under the car, and it is unable to temporarily store fuel tank vapors. The self-checking emissions controller sees a malfunction at the fuel tank, and the Check Engine light comes on. The engine suddenly runs rough, barely idling, shaking violently, and then resolves itself in about

20 minutes, when the charcoal cannister begins to dry out.

Once doused with gasoline, the activated charcoal in the cannister is hardened, less absorbent and less able to temporarily hold fuel vapors. Repeated dousings from overfilling the fuel tank is a great way to get another charcoal cannister before you would have otherwise needed one.

Reply to
News

Thanks for that, but its not whats causing it in my car Thinking abou it it happens mainly when the engine is hot and there is not much fuel left in the tank, although that might just be coincidence.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson