c230 Transmission Problems

I have a 99 c230 w/ 124K miles. The other day it just decided to NOT move when I put it into reverse. It took several gear changes for it to go into gear, and when it did, I heard a popping sound and it
jumped into gear. After that, I heard a rattling type of noise in and out of gear. It still drives, but makes noise. This noise increases with the RPMs. So, I had it taken to a transmission shop that is trying to rip my head off financially on the repair. Im trying to locate the transmission (or another compatible one) on the internet, but I cant get anyone to give me a straight answer on what other model types that will fit my car. I know that having more to choose from would help me find a better price. Heck, Im not even sure that I need a new one...but Im at the mercy of the repair shop right now, and thats what they are saying.
My mechanic will put it in for me, but I just have to find a part thats reasonably priced and will work....
If anyone can help me...Id really appreciate it. Thanks, Kris Arkansas
The transmission part # is 2102701701
--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoForumz.com interface.
Articles individually moderated. Abuse/Problem? Report at