C230 Vin Numbers and Specs.

I located a good used rear end differential (2000 C230) which I hope will work with my 1998 C230 (bad differential). Mine is a L4PFI DOHC 16V and the used one is LHFI (16 V???) (both made in Germany). Are they
interchanagable/exactly the same or not? Neither are Kompressors. Was 2000 the last year before the Kompressor was introduced. I am confused what is German and what is US made. (or Canada/Mexico??). Are all engines the same between 1998 and 2000? Thanks.
Larry
The only USA made Mercedes is the ML SUV. There are no USA/Canada/Mexico made cars.
Look at the 17 digit vin. If it starts WDB, it is made in Germany. If it starts with a number, the number denotes the country: 1 = USA 2 = Canada 3 = Mexico 4 = USA ML's start with 4JG....

Thanks Karl for the info. I determined that the used rear end was out of a C230K (180 HP). Mine is 150 HP and it appears that the rear end has a different end gear ratio. I guess it would not work very well in my car. I am not too eager to pay close to $2000 for a new rear end at the present time.
Larry Karl wrote:

check what the gear ratio would be. in the final drive & first gear.
it may just be a bit taller than stock. meaning not as fast off the line. unless you car pool with 3 250LB guys in the city you may be ok.
but the bolt patterns and all that sneaky stuff may want you to pull the BIG HAMMER out of the box
the case, minus a few cans!