C230 Vin Numbers and Specs.

I located a good used rear end differential (2000 C230) which I hope will work with my 1998 C230 (bad differential). Mine is a L4PFI DOHC

16V and the used one is LHFI (16 V???) (both made in Germany). Are they interchanagable/exactly the same or not? Neither are Kompressors. Was 2000 the last year before the Kompressor was introduced. I am confused what is German and what is US made. (or Canada/Mexico??). Are all engines the same between 1998 and 2000? Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

The only USA made Mercedes is the ML SUV. There are no USA/Canada/Mexico made cars.

Look at the 17 digit vin. If it starts WDB, it is made in Germany. If it starts with a number, the number denotes the country:

1 = USA 2 = Canada 3 = Mexico 4 = USA ML's start with 4JG....
Reply to
Karl

USA/Canada/Mexico made cars.

it starts with a number, the

confused

Reply to
Larry

check what the gear ratio would be. in the final drive & first gear.

it may just be a bit taller than stock. meaning not as fast off the line. unless you car pool with 3 250LB guys in the city you may be ok.

but the bolt patterns and all that sneaky stuff may want you to pull the BIG HAMMER out of the box

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man