c230k non starter

Hi - I've had an old c230k (1999 model) for about a week.... normally started first time... It's been sat on the drive for a few days in the cold ... just tried to start it.... Turn the key... all the dash board indicators light up ... and stay on ... turn the key further (position 3) ... nothing ... doesn't attempt to turn the engine at all! and all the dash light still on... I'm very new to this car ... any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999

Actually - hopefully its just a flat battery ... I got confused because all the electics seemed to work - including headlights ... it just wouldn't even attempt to turn over ... (a bit like trying to start an automatic when not in N or P...) ...but then after sitting in it a few minutes and trying headlights again - they were dim & I noticed they dimmed the dash lights as well ... so hopefully a charge is all that is needed ...

Reply to
nospammer999

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

If your battery idea doesn't solve the problem, other common causes are the brake pedal switch and shift interlock switch. Search the repair forums at mbworld, benzworld, mercedesshop, etc. and you will find the info. to do these repairs on your own.

Reply to
-

Thanks - yes I won't be able to charge the battery for a day or so... but am still a bit worried... with a mercedes ... do all the dash lights stay on until car starts? ... even with a weak battery I would have expected most of the lights to go out after a few secs with key in position 2?

I would be grateful for a couple more pointers ... are you talking about the middle (between clutch & accelerator) brake pedal ... or the one on the left? and would your advice still apply if the car is manual (like mine) rather than automatic? Would this cause all dash lights to stay on?

thanks

Reply to
nospammer999

no mate as I discovered they are only supposed to go out when the engine starts - I had a lot of charging/discharging and funny lights on the dashboard, turned out to be voltage drain from a relay and the regulator plus slightly too weak alternator; my warning lights didn't come on at all on starting but I didn't know they were supposed to... cheers

Reply to
news

If it isn't your battery, check your OVP relay. I had a similar problem with my '96 C36, and that was the culprit.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox