C240 How to identify bad O2 sensor??

I have a check engine light. I get OBDII codes PO304, PO305. PO306 and P0300. Which is misfire on Cyls 4, 5, and 6. I reason that is a bad O2 sensor or both O2 sensors on one bank. Are 4, 5, and 6 on one bank?? Which bank are 4, 5, and 6 on? I coundn't find a cyl layout. There are 4 O2 sensors so how do I find the bad one or two? Bosch universal O2 sensors are $80 each so I don't want to change all four to find the one bad one. Thanks Bob

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

If one is reallllly bad, all ya need ta do iz wait for Santa Clause next year an ask him! He will know!

mcbrue helpingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Not sure why you would think this is a bad O2 sensor. Does the car misfire as when the engine is first started (cold)? If so, then it's not an O2 sensor as they don't activate until they warm up (takes a couple of minutes).

Josh

Reply to
Josh

does not misfire when cold

to me that the only thing i can see in common is the O2 sensor giving wrong info. I can't see 3 cyl actually going bad at exactly the same time. That is one reason i

Bob

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

I seriously doubt it is bad O2 sensors... Yes, 456 is one one side.

Reply to
Tiger

OK, which side, driver side or passenger side. Also, if I am wrong, what is right??

Bob

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

Where are you? What year is it? How many miles are on it?

Reply to
Karl

O2 sensor malfunction would set the specific trouble codes. The range of 02 sensor trouble codes is P0150 - P0167. You are not getting any of those are you? I believe you have other issues to chase down . I would start with the ignition system.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Thanks for all of the inputs. My codes were all in the P0304 thru 6 range. I live in the SF Bay area. The car has only 17,000 mi. It's hard to believe that ignition parts wear out that quickley. Maybe it is the 5 years and not the mileage. I am due for my yearly service so I guess I'll let them handle it. I am up for bolting on a new sensor but tearing into the ignition system is a bit much.

Bob

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

Is your car still under warranty? You mention V-6... it should still be under warranty.

Reply to
Tiger

Mine is a 2001 which came with a 4 year waranty. This is year 5. I am taking it to a local independent shop.

Bob

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

Emissions control parts are covered by an 8 year 80,000 mile federally mandated warranty.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

thanks

Reply to
Apple Dumpling

But since you live in Calif, it is 7 yr/ 70K, NOT 8/80.

This is why I asked in the beginning of your thread: How many miles? and Where do you live?

Reply to
Karl

Where do you live?

How does CA get out of the federal warranty?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

California has its own warranty specs. Calif covers things that the 8/80 does not. For smog purposes, Calif is in its own world. Before MB built all the cars to meet Calif specs, they built 2 separate spec cars: Fed version had 491 in the option field, Cal had 494. All are now 494. A prime example are the 1985 300D-T and 300SD. 49 state cars used the 1984 617 engine and the 722.3 transmission. Cal cars used a 617 with a redesigned intake with a trap oxidizer on it. The air filter was no longer on top, it is in the pass front corner. The transmission is the small 722.4.

Reply to
Karl

The 8/80,000 still applies to CA cars.

does not. For smog

Calif specs, they built 2

All are now 494.

617 engine and the 722.3

oxidizer on it. The air

transmission is the small 722.4.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

NO NO NO it does NOT. I work at a Calif MB-only dealership and I can tell you 100% that 8/80 does NOT cover Calif version cars.

7/70 is TOTALLY separate from 8/80.

Reply to
Karl

Hey, I don't write the regs. And you don't understand them.

does NOT cover Calif version

Reply to
Chas Hurst

There is a fine line between reality and fantasy.....

Reality is, Calif has it's own emission coverage and it is NOT 8/80. Using a model year 2001 gasoline engine as an example: Not counting the 4 yr/50K MB warranty, there are 4 different emission warranties. Federal coverage: 2 yr/24K and 8 yr/80K Calif, Maine, Mass, and Vermont: 3 yr/ 50K and 7 yr/70K If you own a MB, look in your packet for the emissions booklet. It explains all four different emission warranties. Towards the back will be charts of what is covered by what state. As an example, the intake manifold is ONLY covered by 7/70, NOT 8/80. The engine control module is covered by 7/70 and 8/80, The malfunction indicator light is covered by 8/80 but NOT 7/70.

I can take any vin number and submit to MB warranty with a damage code and instantly know if the part is covered or not. I used a 2001 E320 that does not have ELW or Starmark or CPO so the results are not biased. I used 7/70 damage codes and 8/80 damage codes and used 2 different mileage figures, 68999 and

78999. The electric accellerator damage code is 14031737. Under the emission coverage guidelines, it is a 7/70 part ONLY. Using the above car at 68999, it is 100% covered. Using 78999 miles it is NOT covered.

If anyone wants a dose of reality, I can fax you the printouts showing emission coverage in the real world.

Reply to
Karl