c240 - ticking noise in front engine, dissappears on idle

this is very annoying especially going home late at night when my street is quiet and running between 10 to 15 mph there is a ticking noise that is very annoying and loud but when it comes to a full stop
it goes away.
Check your serpentine belt.
what is a serpentine belt? it is coming from the engine. if I accelerate i dont hear it if it is idle i dont hear it, but if I am slowing down lets say 10 - 15 miles especially in traffic I can hear it - the sound is like the tuppets inside the engine.
what is a serpentine belt? it is coming from the engine. if I accelerate i dont hear it if it is idle i dont hear it, but if I am slowing down lets say 10 - 15 miles especially in traffic I can hear it - the sound is like the tuppets inside the engine.
Tapping sound or ticking?
Ticking at low speed is engine serpntine belt... aka fan belt.
Tapping is valve noise... suggest you try synthetic oil for a while.
it is ticking, I looked at the service documents that Ray Catena gave me and it said there that "maybe the client is hearing the purge valve" but at that time when the car is with them it is not happening.
On 2005-09-17 10:02:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

Are you saying it's coming from the engine? Or the wheels?
Can't tell from your post.
If it's coming from the engine only when acceleration is applied, it could be a single port exhaust leak.
Marty
it is coming from the engine, I had it check with ray catena mercedes service center and they told me that there is this valve that releases air? and they told me it is not fixable. I couldn't beleive it myself that is why I am here to ask ppl around if they have the same ticking noise.
Martin Joseph wrote:

Which year is this C240? Where does the ticking come from? Left (driver) side under the intake manifold? How about if the AC is turned on? Our 96 C280 had some ticking sound from that area. It is the motor controlled throttle valve. The sound stayed for about 2-3 months and disappeared just about the time when the battery was changed. I think it is coincident but since I never understand why it makes such noise, I can't make a conclusion either.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I looked at the service paper documents that I got from Ray Catena who fixed the car, by the way the year is 2002 c240. And in the paper it said that "maybe the client is hearing the purge valve". but at that time they were testing it it is not ticking.