c280.....

I'm looking at used MB's. For various reasons, I'm focussing on C280's. Questions:

For reliability and performance, inline 6 or V6? Why? Any years to prefer or avoid? What tends to go wrong on these cars? Anything specific to look for (good or bad)?

Many thanks!

WRL

My folks have the V6... although of different series... 01 E320...no problem with engine for 35K miles so far. JD Power said no difference between the years where inline was present or the V6.

Reply to
Tiger

Not sure what year models you are looking at but have a mechanic (& yourself) check out the wiring harness (early to mid 90's models). I have a 1994 C280 that had a "charred" wiring harness that is apparently common in these models. I searched the boards for this problem and found that alot of other owners had this problem and MB will sometimes replace at their cost. One individual stated that "it's not a matter of if it happens, it's when it happens and the car catches fire". Other than that, my inline 6 is a work horse that just seems to want to run forever. Oh and it's a 5 speed manual;-)

CHA

1994 C280 1992 BMW 325TD - RIP/Good Riddance
Reply to
cha_cha_cha

Why "Good Riddance"?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

  1. No A/C (my fault for wanting the car so bad in the first place)!!!
  2. Lack of power - nur 115PS. I drive about 220KM of Autobahn everyday and I need to go faster;-)
  3. After about 6 months, pieces starting falling off everywhere and the front door panels would not stay on for anything. No, it was not wrecked and yes I paid BMW to put all new fittings on them and they still fell off when closing the door.
  4. BMW dealership charges are outrageous as compared to MB.
  5. BMW dealerships are full of the most arrogant SOB's I have ever dealt with. I would go in for an inspection/oil change/minor repairs and drop down 700 to 800 Euros and not so much an offer for coffee. The very FIRST time I took my C280 to MB, a very nice and courteous young lady brought me a cup of coffee (they always do) and the service manager actually took time to get to know me and my family/driving habits/wants & desires for my car. That made me feel like I was in another era where customer service meant something. BTW, I am religious when it comes to my cars mechanical well-being (& my safety) so a dealerships service department is very important to me. Again, the costs are always about half of what I paid at BMW......Punkt!
  6. I had BMW replace a fuse or something under the dash (yet another BMW "specialty" part) and it wasn't until a few days later that I noticed the mechanic had punctured a hole in the cover piece and when confronted, they acted like I did it and wanted them to pay for my mistake. I showed the receipt of the work that was done a few days earlier at their shop but they were very adamant about doing anything and I think it was around that moment I decided this "relationship" wasn't going to work out.
  7. I don't want to bore you with all the other things that took me away from enjoying the car.

Overall the car isn't the worst one in the world but I guess the BMW experience left me a little disappointed.

Biß spater, CHA

1994 C280 1992 BMW 325TD - RIP/Good Riddance
Reply to
cha_cha_cha

I bought mine, a 95 C280 with about 60k, in January. Since then the windshield wiper died, but that's it. It is a lovely car - perfect for the city because of its tight turning circle but a phenomenal long distance cruiser. Lucked out in that mine was scrupulously maintained and immaculate

- no one believes its a 9 yr old car.

I highly recommend one of these with an inline 6. That would be 94-97, although 94s and some 95s had the wiring harness rot problem.

Look for a service history, and if buying from a dealer get an extended warranty. You can call MBUSA and have them look up the vin of prospective cars to see if they have been dealer maintained.

These are great deals as used cars (as are the E-class from 94-97) so you should be able to find a good one.

Reply to
Chris Tonjes

Many thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies.

Chris, why do you prefer the inline to the V6?

Thanks again!

WRL

I heartily agree. I have a 97 C280 that I bought in

1999 with 52K on it. It now has 137K and is still going strong. The in-line six is a wonderful engine that, IMHO, should still be the standard.
Reply to
Tom Royer