C280 died on the freeway and would not start.

My 1996 C280 died yesterday on the freeway and I could not get it to turn back on. I got it towed and just let it sit over night. This morning I went out and the car turned on on the first try. Now it is turning on with no problem. Any idea why it turned off on my and why it wouldn't turn on, and now turns on with no problem.

Reply to
Theguy

Fuel pump relay and OVP relay.

Reply to
Tiger

Sounds very similar to the intermittent behavior when the crankshaft position sensor starts to fail.

Reply to
-

I just had this happen with my '96 C36. Believe it, or not, it turned out to be the coil packs. Two of three went bad at the same time.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

This lack of reliability, combined with the dealership quality, is why I now drive a Lexus 430. It is a most unsatisfying car, but it has not yet died and left me stranded with my thumb out the way the old E and then S klass kars did. Great engineering, but they just tend to need repairs every trip by the stealership.

Reply to
mcbrue

Funny, I don't see that many 11 year old Lexus's on the road. I still see tons of W202's, though.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

I had a similar problem with my 1998 C280 about six months ago. It would just shut off and I couldn?t get it started. It would start to sputter just before it would shut off. It would not start for a while, and then after the engine cooled off it would start fine. I took it to the dealership and $600 or so later, they determined it was a sensor that had to be changed. Works fine now, other than the problem I just posted.

"Theguy" wrote: > My 1996 C280 died yesterday on the freeway and I could not get > it to > turn back on. I got it towed and just let it sit over night. > This > morning I went out and the car turned on on the first try. > Now it is > turning on with no problem. Any idea why it turned off on my > and why > it wouldn't turn on, and now turns on with no problem.

Reply to
AC