C280 handling in Snow

I'n considering buying a 98 C280 but a friend with a 99 C230 compressor complains that hers is terrible in teh snow claiming she can't move in more than 1-2 inches of snow Could others share their experience with handling in teh snow with 98 C280's to help me decide Thank Ann

Reply to
Boborann

Has your friend commented about other/previous cars?

Most Mercs are RWD. What about correct snow tyres?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Like any other rwd vehicle, put some weight into the trunk and rest it in front of the rear axle. (not in the back of the trunk) This will help with traction.

This will my my first "M-B Winter" so I'm working through some of the same issues. For the past 17 years we've been driving toyota products and fwd has been acceptable. So this will take some getting used to.

(Though I grew up in Wisconsin and am used to snow, some of the Ohio drivers get pretty stupid on slick or snow-covered roads and that first overpass on Ohio 33 crossing Ohio 36 on the east side of Marysville can be a prety slick spot even for front wheel drive.)

Personally, I think an E body would be a better choice for snow and ice.

Collin (Just be certain that the heater works) KC8TKA E320/97

Reply to
Cheesehead

Tires are the most important factor in this equation.

If you put a full set (4) of quality snow tires on the vehicle for the winter, you should be fine.

I like Bridgestone Blizzak, but another member here (Tiger) says that Nokian makes an even better snow.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
Shawn

It is correct you wont move a Benz of almost any size in a hard winter without the correct tires, ie.winter tires. I have been driving the old 260e (124) and S280 (140) and none of them can do anything without winter tires. The S280 is like a cruise ship when it drops below 20-30 kmp/h on summer tires in the snow it just slides with its 2.000 kg and you are waiting to stop, so if you met a corner you spin the tail to try to get it around not so fun at all. The only thing I have had that can do winter on summer tires is a Golf R32, and that is really fun, only thing is that it is difficult to brake. The R32 also has a Haldex based 4FWD.

Reply to
bravo605