C280 Mercedes check engine light

I have a 1996 Mercedes C280, What is the safest way to turn the check engine light off?

Reply to
hjk9959

Fix the cause of the malfunction.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Very good answer, but that is not what I asked, I want to make sure my car has a problem before I take it to the shop, I was told the check engine light comes on by not closing the gas tank cap properly, the light came on after I first filled it up, I was also told you can turn off the check engine light on by disconnecting the battery, but that might cause other problems, any other suggestion? I promise I will fix the problem if there is one. :)

Reply to
hjk9959

I think maybe if the problem is solved the light will go off on it's own after some number of starts?

Don't really know for sure though, Sorry, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

There may really not be a problem other than the fact that you did not tighten the fuel tank lid at the last fillup. I've ahd this situation occur with my MB and other cars. I suggest you take it to your repair shop, let them do a computer scan to verify there is nothing wrong, and then reset the light. Now, you know to tighten the fuel cap...:-) btw, my repair shop has never charged me for this service. It's very simple, and if you are a regular customer, perhaps yours will not charge. good luck.

Sherm

1998 C230 MB
Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

I think that on this car there is an LED on the OBDI interface (near the battery compartment). There is a button you can depress for 2-3 seconds to get each flash code. If you hold it down for more than six seconds it should clear the fault codes.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

The '96 is an ODBII interface which is located above the driver's right knee under the dash. There is no LED or button.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Some auto supply chains will read the code for you at no charge. The code may tell you generically what the problem is - and isn't. That's more information than you have now.

The code can be erased but then a repair shop has NO information until the "check engine" light reappears.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Sledgehammer and safety glasses!! Or a LARGE bank balance before you go to the dealer's.

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD