Can 91 560 SEL Ride/Sound Like New?

I've been working on improving the clunking from the rear of my 91 560 SEL. Just replaced the rear shocks and made a significant inprovement in the ride and noise. The ball joints atop the shocks were severly worn and creating considerable noise over pavenment seams and bumps.

The shock issue took awhile to discover, since the shock mount ball joints were covered with boots.

There is still a bit of hollow "clunking" from the rear of the vehicle. It's not bad, just a little annoying. I'm looking for suggestions on any rubber, bushings or anything else that I might consider replacing to quiet the ride an dtighten things up. I think it's possible, having ridden in another similar vintage 560sel that was much tighter and quiet.

I only have 115,000 miles on the car. I have replaced the rear sub frame mounts and removed the golf balls from the spare tire well.........That helped just a bit :)

Car still drives like a dream. I'm just a freak about road noise.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Montgomery

Try checking control rod rubber bushings on both ends. This control rod link the shift selector in the cabin to selector range lever on the transmission. The rubber bushings does wear off and fell leaving "bare bones" metal to metal contact. Rattle, rather than "clunking" I would say.

Also, I presume that you have already checked the integrity and soundness of the rear road wheel bearings. Do a proper wheel bearing play check to discover! Hope that is not the case! ;-)) Why? 'cos rear wheel bearing play can be adjusted ONLY from the inner side. You do have axle differential gearbox oil top up. M-B limited slip differential uses its own lubricant. While under the car, check the drive line esp. the flex disc, forward and rear. Perhaps, you may have done all of the above! ;-)) Others may have more ideas.

...ricardo

Steve M> I've been working on improving the clunking from the rear of my 91 560 SEL.

Reply to
ricardo

Replace the sway links at each of the rear wheels. They are actually are a form of plastic about 8 inches long. the sound you refer to is common to worn links. Links are very inexpensive and very easy to replace. John

Reply to
HORIZON A