Can MBTEX be spray painted?

After a year of looking I have found 2 perfect rear inside door panels. Dealer cost is 200.oo each.......the car is a 1992 190E, with 135,000 miles with grey
mbtex interior. The panels are palamino tan, and 20.oo each. Does any one know what paint to use, or how to prep the panels so the paint will adhere to the vinyl, also I can't find the Benz Grey, in a spray can. Will have to have it mixed and color matched? Can someone help with some really good ideas?..............Rick
Matching might be a misnomer, but there are spray can vinyl "paints" that come close. Have a look at World Upholstery's website. www.worlduph.com
Auto parts stores have paints that are made for vinyl interiors. I got some at Strauss, here in the NYC area. I used it on the some of the vinyl seating on my boat. I was very pleased with the results. All I did was make sure it was clean and spray it on. It's been 2 years now and it still looks excellent, no peeling or any problems.
Tex IS painted. Only the Brits use dye on the leather, everybody else uses paint.

----------------------------------------------------------- Fred Emmerich snipped-for-privacy@alumni.tcu.edu -----------------------------------------------------------
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:05:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@alumni.tcu.edu wrote:

Actually, most of the European automakers (Mercedes included) use vat- or drum-dyed leather, where the dye is soaked all the way through. It's mostly the American and Japanese companies that spray-dye their leather.
Regardless, MB-Tex is vinyl, not leather, so any commercial vinyl dye will work just fine on it, as long as it's properly cleaned first.
Here's a link to a place that has the MB-Tex Grey #138 vinyl dye in aerosol cans. That should be the appropriate grey for your 1992 model. If not, they'll custom-match whatever vinyl colour you have.
http://www.worlduph.com/semdye.htm
Hope this helps,
--
Scott Gardner

"I will not tiptoe softly through life only to arrive safely at death."
MB Tex is vinyl,.. used in Mercedes cars and trucks instead of leather because of its durability, wear, and stain resistance and ease of cleaning