Can you I.D this turbocharger, and what PSI is the wastegate set at?

I need to know the wastegate setting for this turbo. I think its off

300

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: turbooo 003small.jpg |Download:

cardriverx

anyone???

-- cardriver

----------------------------------------------------------------------- cardriverx's Profile:

this thread:

cardriverx

Can't SEE the picture(s)! Most of the old (617.95X) 300D Turbos' boost was set at about 11 psi.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

it looks just like this on

'eBay Motors: MERCEDES PARTS = TURBO (item 130128120280 end tim

Jul-01-07 09:23:47 PDT)

but I dont have the flex thing for the downpipe

ALSO, is the wastegate adjustable at all

-- cardriver

----------------------------------------------------------------------- cardriverx's Profile:

this thread:

cardriverx

The Garrett turbo's wastegate CAN be adjusted BUT one needs to remove a coiled spring to access the adjustment. Some owners are very sorry they pulled that spring from its grooves for its nearly impossible to replace while the turbo is on the motor and the motor is in the car.

You may see a bit more power from an adjustment but its a marginal increase. At 16 psi boost the engine's safety features kick in and the fuel supply is reduced.

These turbodiesels made about 40 HP/Liter, good for their time - gas or diesel - so there's not a lot of potential upside to "tuning" these.

And don't put a turbo on a nonturbo engine - unless you want to kill it.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Jun 27, 12:55 am, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
trader4

I just need to know what the wastegate is set at, and if it i

adjustable/ how do I take it off

-- cardriver

----------------------------------------------------------------------- cardriverx's Profile:

this thread:

cardriverx

The above part if for 6 cylinder diesels.

Here's a page which shows the 5 cylinder one:

Looks like it has the flex pipe thing.

You can adjust thw wastgate. They usually comeunder spec fro the factory. Yuo can tighten them down all the way and still perhaps not get it to the full factory spec so most people just tighten them down all the way and call it a day. The overboost protection circuit will be the final arbitor of boost so don't worry.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

In article ,

-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Richard Sexton

There are a number of adjustable regulators available that are fitted to the pressure line going to the waste gate actuator. These can be plumbed so the boost is adjustable from the drivers seat. This might be easier than fiddling with that spring.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

*IF* the turbo is off the car it's stupid easy to fiddle with the spring.
Reply to
Richard Sexton

I know, but how do you get the wastegate that is on it now, off? I trie

unscrewing it.. but it wont budge. any ideas

-- cardriver

----------------------------------------------------------------------- cardriverx's Profile:

this thread:

cardriverx

Alright, it seems its a garrett ta0301 or tb0359. Anyone know? what i

the wastegate set at? How does it come off

-- cardriver

this thread:

cardriverx

Sounds like it's seized. Try penetrating oil and heat.

Reply to
Richard Sexton