Car names

Nothing to do with Merc as such but I thought this might be an amusing diversion.

We all know we have to be careful when giving names and, as an example, Rolls-Royce famously did NOT call one of its models "Silver Mist" (in line with Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith etc) because they realised that Mist in German means rubbish or manure.

A famous faux pas was the Vauxhall/Opel (GM) Nova which not only means "new" but also "doesn't go" (no va).

Now, how about this effort from Nissan?

Pivo

In Slavic languages this means "beer"...

Well, maybe that's appropriate...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

How so?

cp

Reply to
cp

not Slavic - in Croatian language pivo is word for beer.

Reply to
Persona

So Croat does not belong to the Slavic language group?

Funny, that, because Slovenian, Czech, Polish, Serb et al do, and beer is pivo/piwo in all of them.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The car shape might be thought of as a giant mug for beer and things to do with cars (other than buying/driving) tend to be a male-orientated, and men tend to take a greater interest in beer details...

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I was just going to mention that.

cp

Reply to
cp

with cars (other than buying/driving) tend to be a

:-)

Reply to
cp

croats belong to slavic group, but they dont share same word for beer.... trust me. serbs, bosnians and croats says for beer "pivo" (that are very similiar languages) - no one else. slovenians, czech, polish are talking different languages, and they dont understand each other.

Reply to
Persona

languages) - no one else. slovenians, czech, polish are

I'm a Polak and we say pivo, so do the Czechs, Slovaks, Ruskis, Ukrainians, Belarussians (country Russians), Bulgarians, etc. When spoken not too fast I can understand Serbo/Croat and all the other slavic languages, especially Czech, Slovak and Ukrainian, but then I speak russian as well so that helps.

cp

Reply to
cp

did you ever been in cro on holidays? ;)

I really didnt know that half of europe says for beer "pivo"...

Reply to
Persona

No, I'm Canada, there's a lot of Serbs and Croats here.

Yeh, now you do :)

cp

Reply to
cp

now i know ,. .. .

BR

Reply to
Persona

I clicked on the Pivo link, as suggested by Dori, and read about a feature that could be interpreted by some as road rage ...

"...the radio for example, works with the aid of heat detectors and infrared sensors. For instance, to turn up the volume, you just need TO RAISE A FINGER, without taking your hand off the steering wheel."

By the way, the Pivo looks like a lawn mower, doesn't it?

Reply to
Hernando Correa

sensors. For instance, to turn up the volume, you

:-)

Or an octopus on wheels

cp

Reply to
cp

I don't, because you are talking piffle.

All the languages I mentioned belong to the Slavic language group (plus the others listed by cp further along), and they all have the same word for beer ("Trust me", I have been to ex-YU, ex-CZ, not to mention PL, although this is all irrelevant.) This does not mean that they are identical. I am surpised that you, as a Croat don't know this. (Are you a Croat?)

Scandinavian languages, Dutch, German are all Germanic -- doesn't mean the speakers understand each other easily when speaking quickly, but you'd be suprised how much they have in common (but not the word for beer).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Or a giant Leffe glass with wheels instead of a stem.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

This is an urban legend that refuses to die:

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Good link to a great article. Thanks Geoff.

Reply to
Hernando Correa

Nissan has a "Pajero". That means wanker in spain.

Reply to
Jack ElTako

. (Are you a Croat?)

yep and i didnt know it... LOL