Car names

Page 1 of 2
Nothing to do with Merc as such but I thought this might be an amusing diversion.
We all know we have to be careful when giving names and, as an example,
Rolls-Royce famously did NOT call one of its models "Silver Mist" (in line with Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith etc) because they realised that Mist in German means rubbish or manure.
A famous faux pas was the Vauxhall/Opel (GM) Nova which not only means "new" but also "doesn't go" (no va).
Now, how about this effort from Nissan?
Pivo
In Slavic languages this means "beer"...
Well, maybe that's appropriate...
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag4/art20051101/htm/route-nissan-pivo.htm
<grin> DAS

How so?
cp
The car shape might be thought of as a giant mug for beer and things to do with cars (other than buying/driving) tend to be a male-orientated, and men tend to take a greater interest in beer details...
:-) DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message

:-)

not Slavic - in Croatian language pivo is word for beer.
So Croat does not belong to the Slavic language group?
Funny, that, because Slovenian, Czech, Polish, Serb et al do, and beer is pivo/piwo in all of them.
DAS
"Persona" < snipped-for-privacy@dress.com> wrote in message
news:dl4g0o$nt2$ snipped-for-privacy@ss405.t-com.hr...

I was just going to mention that.
cp
croats belong to slavic group, but they dont share same word for beer.... trust me. serbs, bosnians and croats says for beer "pivo" (that are very similiar languages) - no one else. slovenians, czech, polish are talking different languages, and they dont understand each other.

I'm a Polak and we say pivo, so do the Czechs, Slovaks, Ruskis, Ukrainians, Belarussians (country Russians), Bulgarians, etc. When spoken not too fast I can understand Serbo/Croat and all the other slavic languages, especially Czech, Slovak and Ukrainian, but then I speak russian as well so that helps.
cp
did you ever been in cro on holidays? ;)
I really didnt know that half of europe says for beer "pivo"...

No, I'm Canada, there's a lot of Serbs and Croats here.

Yeh, now you do :)
cp
now i know ,. .. .
BR
I don't, because you are talking piffle.
All the languages I mentioned belong to the Slavic language group (plus the others listed by cp further along), and they all have the same word for beer ("Trust me", I have been to ex-YU, ex-CZ, not to mention PL, although this is all irrelevant.) This does not mean that they are identical. I am surpised that you, as a Croat don't know this. (Are you a Croat?)
Scandinavian languages, Dutch, German are all Germanic -- doesn't mean the speakers understand each other easily when speaking quickly, but you'd be suprised how much they have in common (but not the word for beer).
DAS
"Persona" < snipped-for-privacy@dress.com> wrote in message
news:dl7gpa$skm$ snipped-for-privacy@ss405.t-com.hr...
. (Are you a Croat?)
yep and i didnt know it... LOL
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Well, the Dutch, Germans and British all have the same word 'bier', it's just that the English spell it differently. And the French say 'biere' with an accent. I heard the Danish call their beer 'oil' or something like that ;)
Ximinez
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag4/art20051101/htm/route-nissan-pivo.htm
feature that could be interpreted by some as road rage ...
"...the radio for example, works with the aid of heat detectors and infrared sensors. For instance, to turn up the volume, you just need TO RAISE A FINGER, without taking your hand off the steering wheel."
By the way, the Pivo looks like a lawn mower, doesn't it?

:-)
Or an octopus on wheels
cp
Or a giant Leffe glass with wheels instead of a stem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemb18679393&category5723
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message

That too! :)
cp

This is an urban legend that refuses to die:
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp
Geoff
--
"Many of the same people who cry 'No blood for oil!' also want higher
gas-mileage standards for cars. But higher mileage standards have