Car wont upshift

I just got my car to run, had recently pulled the engine and trans. While the trans was out i removed the pan and changed the fluid and filter. When everything was back it and ready, i drove it. It engages into rev and drive quickly, but wont up shift from first gear until

4500 rpm. It does the same thing in the upper gears as well. If I put it in neutral and then back into drive, it will land in the correct gear for that speed, as if i was driving a stick shift. Any ideas? My transmission mount it bad, would that affect anything?
Reply to
Rick

I had that problem when I attempted to rebuild my transmission. Turns out to be the governor not adjusted properly but you never rebuild it... so my guess is transmission fluid... make sure you are properly filled.

Reply to
Tiger

What model, year etc. Clue us in....

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

The tranny fluid is over the 2 lines a little bit, and the drain plug is stripped, so how can i remove the excess?

Reply to
Rick

While engine is running it is overfilled? gee! I strongly suggest you buy new drain plug and washer from dealer... then get the bolt out drill attachment from Sears to remove that bolt... or clamp a visegrip on it to remove it.

Reply to
Tiger