Catalytic Converter look out

A problem has come up here in NC that some of you may be on the look out for. Catalytic Converter Thieves are steeling converters by the hundreds. They got my shop for 7 (most MB converters), a friend of mine that works on
SAAB got hit for 22. Many other places were hit and the police have not been able to catch them. In the month of Dec 2007 over 100 were taken just in the county I am in. I haven't heard of any taken out of peoples yards but that may be next. Just keep this in the back of your head and make sure you don't get hit like I did. Paul
In Maryland they cut them right off the vehicle, while the owner is in a store. In one case I know of, the owner was in the gym, and guys came out with battery operated saws. They look out for pick-up trucks, especially ones which are jacked up or with big wheels. They don't have to jack up the vehicle, and no one pays attention to guys working under a car or truck, they just assume "they" are working on "their" truck. In just a few seconds, they've cut through the pipes and removed the cat. New car lots are a favorite, too.