Catalytic Converter vs 2nd Muffler

The cat on my 380sl was plugged because of a valve stem seal issue. So I temporarily replaced it with a straight pipe, just to see what the effect would be, at least until I can get the seals done. Voila! The car is now far more responsive than it ever was, and I'd venture to say that it has 15-20% more power than before. However, removing the cat made the car noticeably louder.

I only drive the car occasionally, and it's registered as a classic, which doesn't have to pass emissions inspections. So I was thinking about replacing the cat with a second muffler to hopefully muffle the sound without robbing the car of its newly found power, as I suspect a cat probably would.

I was therefore wondering what the pros and cons of doing this would be, ideally without getting into a long discussion of the associated environmental issues.Thanks very much is advance for any advice anyone can give me on this.

Reply to
Travis Bickell

Aftermarket performance cats are much more freeflowing while keeping the emission in check. Since you did the straight pipe method... you can as well weld in your own cat.

The old cat is worth alot of money especially if it is OE... it practically paid for your new aftermarket cat...

Magnaflow cat converters are sold at great price on ebay.

Reply to
Tiger

Like:

I own an old factory. I recently replaced the adult workers with children, and I find my costs are much less. I was wondering what the pros and cons would be, without getting into a long discussion of ethics, morality, and human slavery.

Reply to
Lloyd