CDI and TDI

What do TDI and CDI stand for in the diesel mercedes?

Cricket Rakita wrote:

TDI is a protected designation of Volkswagen and means Turbo Direct Injection; thus in Europe GM has to use the designation DTI for their engines with e.g. Opel and Vauxhall.
CDI is a protected designation by DaimlerChrysler and means Commonrail Direct Injection.
The direct means that the diesel oil is directly injected into the cylinder as opposed to older e.g. Mercedes which have a pre-chamber.
Juergen
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:00:15 GMT, "Cricket Rakita"

Thanks, this helps me and may partner understand what we read.
We are in the market for a diesel mercedes with the intent of running bio-diesel through it.