CDI starting

Hi,

I noticed I can easily start my E 220 CDI (W210) without preheating although instructions recommend to preheat. Is it ok to do so or do I risk damage in some motor part? Thanks!

Kind regards

robert

Reply to
Robert Klemme

I never saw anything about preheating, no do I ever preheat, never had a problem starting up, I have a w211 e320

Reply to
jdoe

Glow plugs are there to provide easy starts AND less smoke upon start up. Your car's motor may seem to start with out waiting for the glow plugs' cycle to complete but the glow plugs are heating anyway.

In fact the new motors continue the "glowing" for an additional minute or so after the motor is running to reduce emissions.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:14:17 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
jdoe

"in the newer cdis I haven't needed to wait for the plugs to heat up before starting"

Perhaps because these GPs are so fast.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:27:35 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
jdoe

So, to sum it up: just start a CDI without preheating. Even if the GP's are heating they might do so for a shorter period of time if the engine is also running (I guess they are temperature controlled).

Thank you for clearing this up!

Kind regards

robert

PS: the manual then is probably a bit dated. :-)

Reply to
Robert Klemme

I just had a (Fiat) td on hire for a fortnight. I kept forgetting to look at the pre-heat light and started like in a petrol-engined vehicle. Only had a hiccup once because I turned the key further immediately immediately, as opposed to just 1 - 2 s immediately.

Complete difference to my old regular non-turbo (Merc) diesel of 25 years ago...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling