CDI starting

Hi,
I noticed I can easily start my E 220 CDI (W210) without preheating although instructions recommend to preheat. Is it ok to do so or do I risk damage in some motor part? Thanks!
Kind regards
    robert
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 16:34:52 +0200, Robert Klemme

I never saw anything about preheating, no do I ever preheat, never had a problem starting up, I have a w211 e320
Add pictures here
βœ–
Glow plugs are there to provide easy starts AND less smoke upon start up. Your car's motor may seem to start with out waiting for the glow plugs' cycle to complete but the glow plugs are heating anyway.
In fact the new motors continue the "glowing" for an additional minute or so after the motor is running to reduce emissions.
--
© 2007 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:14:17 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

true, but in the newer cdis I haven't needed to wait for the plugs to heat up before starting
Add pictures here
βœ–
"in the newer cdis I haven't needed to wait for the plugs to heat up before starting"
Perhaps because these GPs are so fast.
--
© 2007 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
βœ–
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:27:35 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

and that's where we began, the op was questioning the need to preheat his cdi before starting
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06.08.2007 14:48, jdoe wrote:

So, to sum it up: just start a CDI without preheating. Even if the GP's are heating they might do so for a shorter period of time if the engine is also running (I guess they are temperature controlled).
Thank you for clearing this up!
Kind regards
    robert
PS: the manual then is probably a bit dated. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
I just had a (Fiat) td on hire for a fortnight. I kept forgetting to look at the pre-heat light and started like in a petrol-engined vehicle. Only had a hiccup once because I turned the key further immediately immediately, as opposed to just 1 - 2 s immediately.
Complete difference to my old regular non-turbo (Merc) diesel of 25 years ago...
DAS
"Robert Klemme" < snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...
βœ–