Changing Battery in Key/Remote?

How does one change the battery in the infrared key/remote for the 1999 and newer Mercedes? I cannot see how to disassemble the key. I am guessing their must be a battery in there. Surely you don't have to buy a whole new remote (that was something like $130 when we bought the car!). Just curious as the car is over five years old now and the batteries can't last forever. The distance from the car that the remote will work has been shrinking. I was wondering if the battery is getting weak. It could also be due to the red lens at the tip of the key getting scratched up. There really is no way of keeping that protected in daily use. Not sure if I want to attempt to buff that out.

Thanks in advance, Doug

Reply to
-

Found the info.

Thanks anyway!

Reply to
-

What was the answer then?

Reply to
John Schofield

Pull the mechanical key out. Look inside the now empty mech. key slot area just below the latch that unlocks the mechanical key for a small slot that is the size of the mechanical key's tip. Insert the tip of the mechanical key to unlock the battery assembly. Now pull the whole end insert/module containing the panic button and latch out. You will find you need to replace two batteries.

Doug

Reply to
-

At my last service at the dealership I asked a similar question and was told the battery is routinely changed at the service.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling