Changing fuel filter E300D, 1996

I know the information has got to be in here somewhere, but I've been searching for three hours, and can't find it. How do I relieve the fuel pressure to change the fuel filter on a 1996 E300D? And, do I need to unscrew all those bolts from the top of the spin off filter to remove it?

I've found some info, but it is not giving me the specific info to get started. I was off today, but can't find the info I need to do the work.

I just picked up a 1996 E300D and drove it 859 miles home from Houston to Tennessee. No problems in the drive home, but now I've looked, and it looks like the fuel filter has never been changed with 142K on the odometer.

I've got a fuel filter and prefilter that I had purchased for an emergency, and I would like to go ahead and replace them, but it is more complex than I had imagined, with those bolts and screws coming in from the top.

Greg

Reply to
gregsfcfaulkner

Only one nut to remove it... it is located just under that plastic "stop" turn thing. Crimping the fuel lines by the front wheel would be good... the black rubber hose... NOT PLASTIC HOSE.

Reply to
Tiger

Would pressure to the fuel system be relieved by simply removing the fuel tank cap? Similarly to removing the cap on the master cylinder when you need to compress a caliper to replace brake pads?

Reply to
me

No... I did this on my car... If I don't crimp it, fuel will simply keep flowing out. Fuel level in tank is higher than engine.

Reply to
Tiger

I just held the end up in the air, but the tank is lower in a wagon so maybe it's trickier in the sedans... Crimping's a good idea, though. ;)

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket