Check Engine

I recently purchased a 99 C280. I have order the owners manuels but they haven't arrived yet. On the way home tonight the Check Engine light came on. There wasn't any smoke, steam, knocks or drips. The engine starts fine. But, the light come as soon as the engine starts. Any ideas or suggestion? I plan to call the dealer tomorrow. But, would like to get a head start.

Alan snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com

Reply to
Alan Johson

Try tightening the petrol cap first. It's common cause for CHECK ENGINE light to illuminate. In addition, it's usually the OBD II that's the cause. OBD II is particularly sensitive to whatever is not within its prescribed perimeters...

Oliver

Alan Johs> I recently purchased a 99 C280. I have order the owners manuels but they

Reply to
Ennui Society

Get a tank of fresh hi-test and give a while to see if it goes out. O2 sensor can occasionally trigger check-engine light.

Scott D

suggestion?

Reply to
Scott D

Disconnect the power for ten minutes then see if it comes back on. That will at least let you know if it was a temp. problem.

Good Luck

Reply to
BS

Get a right mechanic to reset the obd memory, It only cost less than NZ$50. Only the "computer" can tell what set off the lamp.

"BS" news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com