CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I JUST PURCHASED A 1996 E 320 I WAS DRIVING YESTERDAY AND THE CHECK ENGINE ELECTRONICS LIGHT CAME ON. AS I AM NEW TO OWNING A MERCEDES I AM READY TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER TO HAVE IT SERVICE BUT I ASSUME THIS WILL COST A LOT.
IS IT OKAY TO LET A REGULAR MECHANIC TAKE A LOOK OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE SERVICED BY THE DEALER ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANKS SKIVELLI
If you are a little handy, you can go to an Autozone or some autoparts store that can let you use their OBD2 scanner. Plug it in and read the P code. It'll give you an idea of why it came on.

Yeah, and please stop shouting.
Marty
sorry about the shouting marty

The CAPS... the CAPS he meant
cp
What? I am deaf after all that shouting...

:-)
cp
sale on HEARING AID BATTS
the case, minus a few cans!
thanks for the info. is this a normal thing?

Have the bulb removed so it doesn't light up! It could mean you need plugs and wires (ouch!), a rear axle speed sensor, or a black box computer to replace a bad one behind the left kick panel. P.

Take off the gas cap and reinstall it to the correct "stop" or position. Drive the car for up to a week and see if the light doesn't go out again.