Check Engine Light

I have a 1999 C280. The check engine light seems to come on when the gas tank gets down to about half full. The light goes out when I fill the tank. The car has no other symptoms. What is going on? and how do I fix it?
Thanks,
EJ in NJ
There was a time where contaminated gas was sold... and the result was bad fuel gauge sensor... a couple of years ago, I think.
Have you tried replacing your fuel cap to see if this solve the problem? If this still does not fix it, try a big bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank to see if it clears out the fuel gauge error.
Tiger
Thanks for your comments
This morning I had the annual New Jersey Auto inspection. The "check engine" light was out. As part of the Inspection they check the gas cap. I guess it was OK since they passed the car. Driving home the "check engine" light came on again.
EJ in NJ
Tiger wrote:

You can go to the Autozone and get their OBD II Scanner and hook it up to your car to get the readings. They loan it out for free.
Thanks for the info. I'll try it. EJ in NJ