Check engine light and brake pedal

My check engine light has been on for a while now.
Today I realized that it only goes on when I depress the brake pedal. I never noticed before as I always brake when I start the car. I
turned it off in the street today and drove several blocks. It never came on until I braked.
Any idea what may be happening? It's a 1987 300e.
Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks! http://www.thepickadillos.com
Are you sure it is the "check engine" light and not the brake wear indicator?

I double checked and it's the check engine light. Yellow circle with a ! in the center.
Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks! http://www.thepickadillos.com
I don't have a 300E, but this *sounds* like the faulty light bulb indicator. If so, it is telling you that one of your brake lights is out (or not returning the correct resistance).
Josh

Thanks for the tip. That was indeed the problem.
Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks! http://www.thepickadillos.com