Check Engine Light E420

HELP!! I saw your posting on line.

I just acquired a 1994 E420 from my Father-in-law from out of state. California has a SMOG emissions test that is required before licensing in California. The check engine light has been on for 4 1/2 years.

He has had it serviced many times over the past 4 1/2 years & they told him not to worry about it, that there was nothing wrong with the car. What can I do. It passes the California emissions, but because the check engine light is on it is an automatic fail.

Is there any way to reset the check engine light??

Even just for a couple hours?? That's all I need, since it passed with flying colors the emissions tests..... Thanks for any input.. LSharpo

Reply to
lsharpo

You need to post what the fault code is. When they do the smog check, they should tell you the code.

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
info

Take it to a good mechanic and have him find out what cause the check engine light.

Reply to
Tiger

BAD advice. Here in California, part of the smog test is the function of the light. Removing it is illegal and tampering.

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
zdilly/gary

This is a total BS story.

It would never pass, because they do not look at the MIL light. They plug in a scanner and read the fault codes. Therefore, light or not, you need to fix it to pass emissions around these parts (western USA).

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
zdilly/gary

Reply to
lsharpo

OK, there are NO fault codes. All the paperwork says is:

Emission Control System Visual Inspection/Functional Check Results

Results Fail - MIL/Check Engine Light

What does MIL stand for??

Thanks,

zdilly/gary wrote:

Reply to
lsharpo

The paperwork shows NO FAULT CODES it only shows:

Emission Control Systems Visual Inspection/Functional Check Results

Results

Fail - MIL/Check Engine Light

What does MIL stand for ???

Reply to
lsharpo

Huh, Malfunction indicator light...

I guess pulling the bulb would work then. Go figure!

Marty

PS I would love to hear an explanation for an MIL light that is on, but no fault codes in the computer? Seems odd.

Reply to
Martin Joseph