Check Engine Light E420

HELP!! I saw your posting on line.
I just acquired a 1994 E420 from my Father-in-law from out of state. California has a SMOG emissions test that is required before licensing
in California. The check engine light has been on for 4 1/2 years.
He has had it serviced many times over the past 4 1/2 years & they told him not to worry about it, that there was nothing wrong with the car. What can I do. It passes the California emissions, but because the check engine light is on it is an automatic fail.
Is there any way to reset the check engine light??
Even just for a couple hours?? That's all I need, since it passed with flying colors the emissions tests..... Thanks for any input.. LSharpo
You need to post what the fault code is. When they do the smog check, they should tell you the code.

Remove the light bulb!

BAD advice. Here in California, part of the smog test is the function of the light. Removing it is illegal and tampering.

knew of a similar prob here, [on for 100k miles] fault codes were way past this guys shade tree abilities. the guy took out the bulb and it [fell] on the cement floor, put it back in and it passed with flying colors. no crime to have a bad bulb.... in the small community where he lived the smog test only shops just want you out of there, don't want you comming back for free for a second test... -gary info wrote:

This is a total BS story.
It would never pass, because they do not look at the MIL light. They plug in a scanner and read the fault codes. Therefore, light or not, you need to fix it to pass emissions around these parts (western USA).
Marty
martin, not a bs story... i was there... maybe bad calif smog guy or whatever, but god's truth.. -gary Martin Joseph wrote:

OK, there are NO fault codes. All the paperwork says is:
Emission Control System Visual Inspection/Functional Check Results
Results Fail - MIL/Check Engine Light
What does MIL stand for??
Thanks,
zdilly/gary wrote:

Martin Joseph wrote:

The paperwork shows NO FAULT CODES it only shows:
Emission Control Systems Visual Inspection/Functional Check Results
Results
Fail - MIL/Check Engine Light
What does MIL stand for ???
On 2006-07-26 10:20:38 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Huh, Malfunction indicator light...
I guess pulling the bulb would work then. Go figure!
Marty
PS I would love to hear an explanation for an MIL light that is on, but no fault codes in the computer? Seems odd.
Take it to a good mechanic and have him find out what cause the check engine light.