check engine light question

My 1999 E55 stumbled yesterday and called out the 'check engine light' on the dash. I took it in to my good mechanic and said the code in the computer pointed to the Air flow(air mass) meter . He reset the code and I was on my way. He said if I experience more stallage I should get the meter replaced. This car has 39K on it. Is there anything I can do to salvage the airflow meter ?

Reply to
JB