Checking Mercedes transmission fluid

I have both a 98 C280 and E320 wagon and I'm annoyed that Mercedes didn't include a dipstick for checking transmission fluid levels. The C280 is at

60K miles and I'd like to change my own fluid but won't pay the $35 that it cost to a dipstick . Am I the only one irritated by this seem like a design to force you to go to the dealer even to check it. I'd also be interested in any ways people have avoided needing to buy one Thanks in Advance Bob
Reply to
BoborAnn

Both cars have a "lifetime filling" and don't need a oilchange ( thats what MB say's / think's ) that's why there is no dipstick. The level only has to be checked in case of a leak.

JPG

"BoborAnn" schreef in bericht news:9N4Ib.697358$Fm2.601344@attbi_s04...

Reply to
JPG

Reply to
BoborAnn

Bob, the 60 K (km's) is the transmission-oilchange interval for the older models.

Grtz, JPG

"BoborAnn" schreef in bericht news:EGkIb.78644$VB2.158187@attbi_s51...

Reply to
JPG

Bob, I have a 1997 E320 with the sealed transmission and asked that question of a mechanic I take the car to on occasion. He said the service is at

100,000 by the dealer, but feels there are too many transmission failures based on waiting that long. He changed mine at 60,000 miles and recommended I do it again in another 60,000. He gave me a break on the special fluid which he had to get from the dealer for about $117. There is also a kit which includes a filter and gasket - the whole job was around $300. There is no dipstick available for my car since the manufacturer is afraid someone will check the level and add regular fluid to the system.

In my opinion the manufacturer has the right idea - just don't wait

100,000 miles. Good Luck, Ken

BoborAnn wrote:

Reply to
Kennith.Hensley

I went with this concern to the dealer and they changed the ATF at

65.000 Km (40,600 miles). It was not too expensive. I believe that changing the ATF earlier than needed might damage your wallet, but you are buying insurance for a -very- expensive transmission. I also change engine oil at shorter than the specified interval. It might not do any good, but I feel better. Perhaps the one who wil really benefit from this will be the next owner of the car.

WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

Hi I have a -99 E220 CDI, and was also told the oil wouldn't need to be changed on the transmission. BUT after a while I was told that MB had gone back on that, and they now recommend oilchange every 100K Km.

Steinar

Reply to
Norseman