Chevy, better than MB?!?!

Page 2 of 2

astray
Uh... Pot... Kettle... You pick a color.

and
they
not
You are talking about two different people here. To the short term investor, the "new" MB is great. To the long term consumer, they are worse. I have owned many MBs over the years, and I would much rather have a new BMW that a new MB. And I would rather have an older MB than either....
I used to travel for work, and I had a 2001 BMW 3 series for 4 months. Compared to the new MB, they are a much better car. Compared to a 126 in good shape, they are still quite nice. Compare a new MB to a 126, and you get a small cabin space, a lot a plastic, and many gadgets to break... Just my opinion, but it at least as valid as yours...
Lee
I have a 2003 C230 Sport and the wife has a 2003 Honda V6 loaded. The Honda and the Mer were within $4,000 of each other. Most time I have to get up earlier than my wife to get the C230. We both WANT to drive the Mer. My wife summed it up most succently when explaining why she alwys drove my car over her Honda. She said the "The Honda was a great , smooth and reliable car, it just doesn't have a soul. The Mer is FUN to drive."

do
worse.
BMW
Just
Harvey Louzon wrote:

Actually I only wish I were smoking pot.

I applaud their strategy as well.
.
Reed Gabler wrote: > Over in the Corvette NG they are talking about German cars and how crappy > they have become, stating chevy is now a better quality car. Is this true?
Irrelevant question.
All corporations are nothing more than an expression of their respective management's decisions and will.
This is why you should really speak of management as much as the corporation and why the salaries that many consider too high are in fact quite paltry when considered in the context of the effect on profits that their decisions can have. In other words, if Juergen Schremp can literally add or delete billions from the profits of his company he is easily worth 15 million annually - which is not that much in today's dollars anyway.
Bob Lutz, the new guy at GM, should probably be listened to. The only thing that I have noticed from GM lately is the 16, and Lutz had to make compromises to the existing designers who like that "ugly edge" design school. They should let Lutz have more power.
Personally the cars I like are Mercedes, especially AMG and the Maybach. For an insight why, Forbes just did a quick comparison of the E55 and 3 other competitive German makes. There is currently nothing from GM that competes with the E55. Lutz and his coworkers could change that and I hope they do. Competition is good.
Forbes link: http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/21/cx_dl_0721feat.html
.
MB quality started to slide when the marketing department took over (early 90s) and started telling engineering how to build the cars. Marketing wants gadgets, self-closing doors, etc and all those little toys that break and cost big bucks to fix. MB drive trains and engines still hold up well but the problems are all mostly with all the goodies that are now standard. Surverys show that a majority of MB owners sell or trade right around the time that their new car warranty is ending. They get something newer with full warranty. Anyone buying a used MB should certainly get a StarMark warranted car. If not you are probably going to be paying big bucks on many repairs that will be needed just about the time the original factory warranty expires. MB has done well with the way they are building cars today....but I for one am not interested in getting a new or newer MB. I'll stick with my classic 560 SEL. It is totally dependable, still can cruise upwards of 135mph in comfort and looks great.

(early
wants
many
All this is true. What's often forgotten, however, is that when MB was operating business as usual in the early nineties they were losing market share (and money) to their competitors. The 'old' way of building and marketing cars doesn't work today. The market has spoken.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:41:05 -0500, "Reed Gabler"

How did you know they were balding (they are)....one weekend all I saw was 50 something bald guys driving corvette convertibles. Talk about "mid-life crisis". I thought it was a young man's car being that it doesn't cost that much.