Cigarette lighter problems in a W123

Today, while trying to hook up one of those cassete-cd adapter kits, i discovered that the lighter doesn't seem to be working. The kit itself is functional, but there doesn't appear to be any power running to the
lighter. In fact, it seems as if the entire lighter and ashtray assembly is loose and wobbly, and i honestly have no idea when, if ever, the lighter was used. Could it be the fuse, or will it be a problem with the wiring to the lighter? If the wiring is likely to be the issue, how do i go about removing the ashtray to replace the wiring? I'm not entirely certain what to do about this, as I'd really like to get a CD player working in my car, but for insurance reasons I can't simply install a new deck. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. In case there are specific differences between models, the car is a 1978 280CE. cheers.
Rowan Smith
Most likely the fuse... take it out and check... if not, then maybe the wire harness fell out of the ashtray.