Cigarette lighter querry

Is it difficult to bypass the ignition switch and have the cigarette lighter outlet hot all times? I use the lighter outlet for an Ipod and would like to have it hot regardless of the ignition switch position.

Thanks...

Reply to
James O'Riley

If you are handy and know the basic electric work, the radio memory (which is hot all the time) is around the vicinity. However, I have not tried that yet and I don't know what rating that wire is (that is, if it can handle the load without burning).

The safest way is probably runn> Is it difficult to bypass the ignition switch and have the cigarette

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Yes it is possible... not too hard to do. What I would do is install a relay with fuse built in at the cigarette lighter and wire it to the radio hot. This way, when car is on... cigarette lighter work just as original... when car is offf, it runs off the radio circuit.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks guys, good information from you both. I'm now 76 and not as flexible as I used to be. I wish an old friend from the 50's was around, he was 5'2", skinny as a rail and could easily fit under any dash of the cars from those days. He could do this job in a flash. I'll see what's available here to do such a job.

Reply to
James O'Riley

I like it the way it is precisely for that reason. My iRiver with the great open source RockBox firmware has special settings for in car operation. It automatically goes on standby when the ignition is switched off and powers back up and resumes playing when the ignition is switched on again.

I believe there's now even a Rockbox version for iSheep^H^H^H^H^H^HiPods ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

No need to go under dash at all... it is all done at the cigarette lighter/radio area.

Seventy six with an Ipod?! Cool! Rock on!

Reply to
Tiger

Yeah, but WinXP is about to get the best of me. ;-) I've been using Win98SE so long it's growing roots that are showing through my monitor. :-D

It's also laughable to think that I'm the oldest one in the gym we go to MWF!

I'll check out crawling into the cig ashtray and see how that goes. :-P

Reply to
James O'Riley

Nah... Windows XP is not all that hard... Everything is in a slightly different place. You should have jumped into XP long ago... this system is so stable and solid. Everything is so easy to install on XP when you buy new stuff.

Windows 98 develops alzheimer too fast that I have to clean install it every

6 months to keep computer running fast. Plus it doesn't accomodate alot of new stuff on the market nowdays.
Reply to
Tiger

LOL... You are right on the updates that bogs down the dial up... you should simply turn off the Automatic Update in these cases for dial up.

Antivirus or antispyware will also slow down the computer for softwares like McAfee (oooh... I hate these...) and Symantec which is a big software.

Computer Associate software are much smaller and doesn't bog down the dial up as much the big boys above.

You country boys needs to use the Hughes Satellite Broadband internet acess... DirecTV is the provider for these satellite broadband. Are you sure you don't have cable broadband?

Reply to
Tiger

Dude, I'm an interent engineer and have been for 20 years. I can tell you the dB loss between here and the closest CO. I live 12 miles from the closest piece of cable and sat has too much of a latency to be of any use to me.

Some jokers are doing wireless around here. If they do better than the last 3 packs of crooks that tried it might be an option.

Until then it's 28.8. Serious.

Stop snickering. It works.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

LOL... So why are you living in middle of nowhere? I'd rather put up with satellite letency than dial up. I had satellite in 2000... where you dial in for uplink and it transmit downward via satellite... it was better than nothing... even though at that time has too many hiccups as dial up will hang up on ya!

I went from cable modem back to 56K until where I live hooked me up with cable again... talk about agony!

You need digital T1 line... at least that can be done anywhere... but $800 a month for fractional 56K is definitely no bargain!

Or you can do what towns in middle of nowhere are doing... town lease T1 and redistributed it via network hookup for the whole town... everyone pays part and is economical for everyone.

Reply to
Tiger

^^^^^^^^ Say, is that where they get you to "fix" the pricing on housing? ;-)

Hm, really OT, but if you *are* able to access broadband 12 miles away, I'd try to setup my own point-to-point wireless link. Do you have LOS between your home and the other site?

It's really much harder to do good wide-area wireless coverage cheaply.

I hear ya. Dial-up at 14.4K MNP5 was a luxury back in the late '80s, and programs like vi and rtin worked great at those speeds. Actually even today, it is still possible to do light browsing at 28.8K. I just turn off the graphics and scripts loading.

You *did* say you have an antenna tower lying around doing nothing.

Also see:

>60 miles - with a little help from a 500mW boost.

Cheers, WS

Reply to
ws

There is a programme that claims to increase browsing speeds (even broadband!), by compressing images/graphics. In the UK it sells for about GBP 25 per year.

It is called Onspeed:

FAQs are here:

It might help. I was interested in it but then did not pursue when I switched to broadband, where the speed is high enough for my needs without any further mods.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The problem is line of sight from here. It's a little but not very hilly here. Enouhugh such that I need a bunch of elevation maps to see hat I could do from here and I haven't got around to that yet. I have servers on fat pipe and can drop in to use dsl. I really don't need much more than that to do what I do.

It's only a matter of time before broadband wireless reaches ubiquity, I'm not in any real hurry.

Reply to
Richard Sexton