CL500 - the best 4-seater coupe by far

I have had my CL500 since November last year. This is my third Merc. Previous models were the SLK320 and the E320 CDI (yep a Diesel!).
I have to confess, I would have considered a Diesel for my CL, had there been
one available, especially if the V8 4.0 litre (only available on the Continent) had been on offer. Regrettably it wasn't, so I couldn't.
Nevertheless, this must be the most under-rated coupe on the market. I need 4 seats for business reasons, so the SL500 was not an option. Leaving aside any other differences, I really love this car. Very smooth, powerful and effortless. The Active Body Control is only available (at least in the UK) as standard on the S Class on the S600 long wheel base limo. I thought it might be a gimmick - it isn't. If you are looking to buy and this is an option, specify ABC. It really works. We have poor roads, especially country roads here in the UK. ABC seems to help considerably in high speed cross country jaunts. Whereas other cars I have owned jumped around, this seems to steer straight and fast. It is worth more than a power hike.
As far as looks are concerned, in my humble opnion, nothing else comes close to the quiet and understated look of the CL. This is the first car I have owned where a stranger at a filling station commented: "what a beautiful car". This on my first long distance journey whilst still running in. So Ok, it looked new, but so what? No other car I have owned (including Jaguars, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Volvo, ets, etc), has ever had that comment made about it.
Yes, it is expensive. But the build quality is there. My one and only slight quibble is I wish they had included a wooden steering wheel in place of the leather bound one. It is standard on the larger engined CL600 and was an option on the CL500. But I bought mine on a whim whilst in the showroom and I bought what I saw and fell in love with. No regrets about that. I have enquired and I can have the wooden wheel as a retro fit, but at around 600 ($1,000) I am not that keen to spend money.
Would I buy the same car again? Definitely.
Comments?
Is the CL500 the best? Maybe. What about CL55? or CL600? <g>
Still remember the first time I saw one. Never was convinced by the styling of the smaller S class. Then I saw the CL and all of a sudden the design made sense. A much more cohesive flow than the sedan. Wonderful vehicle indeed! You are a lucky person.
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:09:52 +0100, A satisfied owner wrote:

<A satisfied owner> wrote in message

Previous
been
Continent)
need 4

aside any

UK) as

might
option,
roads
country
steer
close to

owned
This
looked
slight
the
and I

600
<A satisfied owner> wrote in message

Previous
been
Continent)
need 4

aside any

UK) as

might
option,
roads
country
steer
close to

owned
This
looked
slight
the
and I

600
Its not the quality of the car that bothers people. It is the resale price.