Clicking noise - 1997 E420

I have a clicking noise coming from under the hood on my

1997 E420 with 80,000 miles.

I took the car in for service. Without even listening to the noise or looking under the hood, I was told that the noise:

--comes from the purge valve

-- happens when it is cold

-- and is nothing to worry about.

The clicking just started last week. It has gotten cold here during this time -- snow and temperatures remain just above freezing during the day and below freezing at night.

But this is my 4th winter with this car and I've never noticed the clicking before. Can anyone confirm that this is nothing that I should worry about?

Reply to
DCarson

I've experienced a similar sound -- it almost sounds like an electric arc (sparking) sound, does it not? I've been told it was normal....but I don't know what it is...

Randy

1997 E420
Reply to
Randy S

Randy,

Yes, your description of the sound is correct.

I called another dealer's service center to inquire about this. The service man who provided me this second opinion told me that it is NOT common for a clicking noise to come from a purge valve on a 97 E420. This is more in common with newer C-class models, but not on our model. It is not out of the question that it's the purge valve, but according to the provider of the second opinion, it is not as common as my current service guy had told me.

An update: My current service guy changed his story, telling me that after they looked into the problem a bit, they discovered that the clicking is coming from the oil feed connector. So I am getting a new oil feed connector.... and I'll see if the clicking stops.

--DCARSON

Reply to
DCarson

FYI, I got a new oil feed connector and the clicking has stopped.

-Dan

1997 E420
Reply to
DCarson