Climate control '81 300D

The 35-amp fuse which handles the climate control system on my car would blow every 2-4 weeks. This usually occurred when I hit the defrost button which turns on the A/C compressor and switches the blower motor to its
highest speed. I avoided doing this whenever possible and only for a few seconds when necessary. Worked fine for about a year under these conditions. Now the climate control system has shut down permanently and nothing works....no blower, no A/C compressor, etc. However, the fuse which controls this circuit is still good. I have not begun to check out anything as yet hoping someone else has had an identical problem and a possible solution. Any takers?...............
Same car, same year, same problem here. I am almost certain it's the vacuum system. When it's warm enough that I want to drive the 300D on a regular basis, I'll be looking into it.