CLK 240 - Battery access

2004 CLK 240 Auto
After locating the Battery hiding under a black rectangular plastic box with 'Air Conditioner' on it (it looks like an air filter to me) I
am unable to fully unclip it to gain access to the Battery terminals.
It is held in place by 3 'pull & grab' retainers. The outer 2 undo easily. The center clip fouls the bodywork and refuses to exit the gap, thereby holding the entire device in place.
Help - I can't even check the Battery on this MB.
The spark plugs look very difficult to access too. Is there a more owner-unfriendly car on sale these days?
David

OK folks - I had another attempt & forced it off eventually. Trouble about forcing, is that you just don't know how hard to try sometimes.
Anyways, it's off now.
David

You shouldn't need to change the spark plugs or even inspect them for a long time. They claim 100,000 miles but maybe less than that. They are modern platinum plated ones I think. No longer the wear issue they used to be.