CLK 320 not starting

Hey folks,

I'm having problems with my 98 CLK 320. It won't start. It doesn't happen all the time but recently it's been doing it a lot. The other day it died 3 times and I had to wait anytime from 5min to 30min before it started again. The started turns but for some reason it won't start the engine. The car is also slow so and one time it gave me P0170 & P0173 codes that indicate problems with injectors/air meter but I would think that the car would at least run (although not very well) with those issue. Right now the car has not started for the last 2 days and there is no error codes. Please let me know what the problme might be as I'm clueless to where to start looking. Thanks

wilu

Reply to
Jack

New air mass meter seems to be called for. Shop around.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I councour. Sound like the air mass sensor.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I dont understand why anyone would want to keep stalling only to find its the same problem all along. Did you really think it would fix itself and get better ?

Reply to
Miro

Doesn't the ECU have a 'limp-home-mode' for this very instance? If the ECU gets readings that are out of whack it replaces that reading with a middle of the road type amount - not great but it would get you home. This may explain why the car's felt slow recently. But why would it just pack in altogether, does the 'limp' mode only work for a set time before it gives up?

300Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

You might be right about the set time but since this is my first benz I don't know much about these cars, yet What bothers me is that on some days I get it in the morning and the starter turns but the engine won't fire. It's really random. Yesterday, I started it in the morning but by afternoon it was no go again! Clueless

Reply to
Jack

Umm... or the CPS (crankshaft position sensor PN# 003-153-96-28), with the one-time error codes P0170/P0173 being an unrelated herring... er failure?

Not to worry though... if it is the CPS, the car will eventually stop running (likely at the most inopportune time), whereupon you can have it flat-bedded to the MB dealership for repair. Or you might just want to consider taking it to the dealer and have 'em check it while you can still get it there under its own power... yes/no? (If it is the CPS, and the vehicle is no longer under warranty, it will be about $300 for parts and labor)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hyndman