clogged diesel injector pump

My "friend" mixed some inadequately filtered veggie oil with diesel in the tank of his 1982 300D turbo. The car ran fine in the drive for 20
minutes, but started chugging & died once he got on the freeway. Upon inspection, his filters were clogged & it appears the injector pump spits from only one port.
Is there any chance of de-gunking such an IP, or is it likely replacement will be neccessary?
Any suggestions for IP replacement articles?
Thanks,
Chumly

Eww.
Well, it's cheap and easy to do and might be worth a shot. Run two or three can's of diesel purge through it as directed on the can.
Basically you disconnect the fuel suppply and return lines and put them into a jar into which you've put the diesel purge and run the engine off it. What it does for a smoky, sick rough engine is nothing short of magic and given the price (a few bucks) and time (half an hour tops) I'd suggest you start with that and cross your fingers.
Since the fuel filters are clogged - the small clear plastic one and the metal spin on - one can suppose little or no fuel is reaching the injection pump. Thus its minuscule output. I doubt the injection pump is affected. Change both filters and prime the fuel system with the hand primer pump that's next to the plastic filter. BUT prime the system with purge or DIESEL injector cleaner and run the motor on that until it's firing evenly.
That leaves the fuel tank and fuel line to be drained, or not, depending on whether the "bad" fuel was in fact bad or, as in the case of 100% Bio, the fuel simply loosened 20+ years of fuel deposits inside the tank and dumped them in the filters. If you retain the old fuel the filters may have to be changed a couple more times before all is well again.
The miniscule IP output is the result of having already replaced the filters & purging with diesel #2. I'll try forcing some diesel purge through, but being that it won't currently start, I'll cross fingers & toes T.G. Lambach wrote:

I'm trying to give you all the reasons I can think of to NOT mess with the injection pump itself. The IP MUST be fed fuel for its "pumping action" relates only to its 2,000 psi impulses to the injectors, not to its own fuel supply. That's done by the engine's fuel pump down at the primer pump's base.
Did you purge the air from the fuel system after the new filters were mounted? Pump hand primer pump until no air bubbles are visible in the lines?
The injection pump can be repaired by a Bosch center - phone book / internet "diesel injection service." They do trucks and construction but may point you to someone who can help you if they can't. Know where you're going to take it before plunging into the job.
If you absolutely have to remove the IP it's essential to FIRST set the motor to a known rotation point so the IP's timing is not lost. The IP's drive gear has an intentionally missing tooth and a mark cut into the collar behind the drive gear. Aligning the IP's gear with the collar is 24 degrees BTDC on the crankshaft so you need to turn the motor by hand - right hand rotation - (pull and push on the drive belts) so 24 degrees BTDC on the harmonic balancer is achieved - on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder (look at #1's cam lobes through the oil filler opening they should BOTH be pointing UPward).
The engine manual shows the two oil lines from the oil filter to the oil cooler being removed AFTER the filter is opened to allow the lube oil to drain back into the motor (and not onto the floor). The oil filter housing is then removed so the IP can be pulled out. A new gasket is essential as are clean surfaces or it will leak afterward.
Before loosening the IP's three mounting bolts note their position and scribe onto the IP and the motor some marks to use later to achieve the same IP position and thus the same injection timing as current - without having to time the injection.
The IP is lubricated by engine oil (and has a small oil pipe to it. Prior to its reinstallation you ought to fill 1/2 pt of lube oil into it (there's a fill plug near the top rear, above and slightly aft of its lube oil pipe)
Getting the picture of why NOT to remove the IP?
If it were my car I'd (i) be absolutely assured that the IP was getting lots of fuel and if the problem persisted (ii) remove the IP's high pressure lines (but not the hold down clamps) and from each well remove the spring and plunger and crank the motor knowing that diesel fuel will be spilled - the idea being to flush fuel through the IP. I'd remove the IP only after all else failed.
I hope this helps get your car back on the road.
Believe me,TG, I have no desire to venture into hostile territory, but I will if neccessary. Thanks for the map.I've purged the air to no avail & will try spring/plunger approach next. Will keep you posted. T.G. Lambach wrote:

Try back pressure the injection pump... use air to blow it backward... from injector side of the pump back to the fuel supply...
Will do,thank you. Tiger wrote:

Oh... before you do that... heat up the injector with a old hair blower... Use a old one... or your better half will be really pissed.
In the words of the sagacious Lenny Cohen, "Hallelujah!"
Having executed all the aforementioned suggestions two days ago, when only one IP port would emit/secrete, I began to admit defeat.
Today, before departing for the wreckers w/ torches & jackhammers, I tried once again, & up she fired.
Perhaps trickle-down (fuel) economics came to play. Perhaps it was divine intervention.
To quote the recondite Mickey Jagger, "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Lord."
Thank you, Rickey, TG, Tigie.
Kb