Code Number for Car Type

I have a 1998 C230. I see all kinds of "W"xxx numbers designated for the different models. How does one know what code number a car is? TIA Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

I believe that the 1998 C230 is W202. I found this information by googling mercedes benz+model number

Sherm in Chicago

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

Look at your VIN. W plus first three digits. W = Wagen (= car or carriage etc)

This tells you the type of body.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Danke!! ;-))

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

Not if he is in the USA with a USA vin.... Here, the vin starts WDBHA23 for his 202.023 HA stands for the 202 body.

22 would be a C220 23 would be a C230 28 would be a C280 w/104 engine 29 would be a C280 w/112 engine
Reply to
Karl

Thanks Karl. How would I know if it's a US car?? I have a standard non-Komp 4 cylinder engine and I am in the USA. How do I decipher the engine codes?? Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

By the vin, if it says WDB202023..... you have a grey market [non USA/Canada] car. If it is WDBHA23..... look on the black plastic cover, pass side under the hood, in front of the firewall. You should see an emission sticker that says 'this car meets US and State of Calif emission standards'. If you have WDBHA23......, pmail me the whole vin and I will tell you all about the car.

Reply to
Karl

So how do you identify the body type from a US VIN?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The 2 letters after WDB denote the body type. Here are a few off the top of my head: GA 140 EA 124 HA 202 UF 211 NG 220 PJ 215 AB 123 JF 210 FA 129

AB after 4JG is the ML class

Reply to
Karl

Thanks, Karl

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Here, take a look at this:

+ the first three numbers of the chassis code will give you the body type.'98 C230 is a W202

Reply to
dk

FYI: AMG's have their own codes. For example, my 1996 C36 VIN starts with WDBHM36.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Here are all of them: BA 107 AA 123 gas AB 123 diesel DA 201 gas DB 201 diesel CA 126 gas CB 126 diesel EA 124 gas EB 124 diesel EA 124 gas EB 124 diesel FA 129 GA 140 gas GB 140 diesel HA 202 HM 202 AMG JF 210 JH 210 wagon KK 170 LJ 208 coupe LK 208 cabriolet NF 220 short wheelbase, Canada only NG 220 PJ 215 RF 203 RH " RN " SK 230 TJ 209 coupe TK 209 cabriolet UF 211 sedan UH 211 wagon WK 171 AJ 199 (SLR) DJ 219 (CLS) YR 463 (G-wagen)

ML starts 4JG instead of WDB AB 163

Reply to
Karl

Curious distinction between diesel and petrol-engined versions...

Thanks; info filed. DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

But the 2 letters are only 1/2 of the equation..... without the 2 numbers after the 2 letters, you only know the body type....the numbers give you the model.

Reply to
Karl

I wonder why they do it that way for the US.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Because of the 17 digit numering system required on all cars as of 1980. Each digit and its location means something. The Euro vin number does not have enough info. It used 6 of the digits just for the model info. We use 4.

Reply to
Karl

Well, I used the opportunity of having another look at my VIN and it says at the beginning: WDB208...

So, not W208 etc!

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Correct, in my second post I said: By the vin, if it says WDB202023..... you have a grey market [non USA/Canada] car. If it is WDBHA23..... look on the black plastic cover, pass side under the hood, in front of the firewall. You should see an emission sticker that says 'this car meets US and State of Calif emission standards'. If you have WDBHA23......, pmail me the whole vin and I will tell you all about the car.

W208 means the body type, WDB208 is the start of the Euro vin.

Reply to
Karl