Cold Start/Very Low oil

I have this friend who started his 240D (4 cyl. 616) that had been sitting in storage for eons and when the oil pressure did not rise after 30-40 seconds, shut it down, and discovered that the oil had mostly drained out
through a leak in the pan. (There had been oik on the stick the day before.)
Is it likely that he has done any damage to his engine?
--
Randall Brink
Author
as long as he did not floor it for that 30 to 40 secs fix the leak drain whats left put in a new filter & try it again.
the needle should go up to 3 Bar very quickly. if not start checking the sending unit wire & other stuff
the case, minus a few cans!
As soon as my friend poured a gallon of Delo into the crankcase, the oil pressure shot right to the top of the guage (he says).
--
Randall Brink
Author

Just about 10,000 miles of wear in a minute...
Sheesh. What a dork.
Marty
It wasn't a minute--more like 30 seconds.
--
Randall Brink
Author

Either way, it's a GOOD IDEA to check the oil level before starting a car in an an unknown condition....
Marty