COMAND system opinions

I am looking at a 2001 E class, with the COMAND system. I was wondering what the general opinion of this system is - is it a decent navigation system? The car is not local so I cannot look at it first hand. The only navigation system I have used is one from a 2005 BMW M3 which was DVD based, and it worked rather nicely.

Is the software expensive to update?

Does the navigation media go in the trunk or in the head unit? Will the head unit play audio CDs up front, or only in the 6 disc changer in the trunk?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

WHile we call ours "The Nagging Ninny" due to it's propensity to say things like "Prepare to drive straight", and it's "tell you everything three times, prepare to..., ... in xx distance, please ...",I'm glad I have it. It doesn't always find the 'best' route to a location, but it does get me where I want, and the maps have been much improved since I bought mine in 2001.

Not that expensive, I think it's $120(?) but I don't update it every year.

The NAV CD goes in the head unit, which will also play audio CDs The

6-disk trunk changer is optional, but nice to have. The best part is the AUX input in the glove box, where I hook up my iPod.
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It depends on where you are and how much you travel. Having to shuffle a dozen CD's is a PITA. Also, many smaller cities are not covered well with the maps, and in rural areas, about all you get are Interstate and major highways.

Why not see if you can find a similar car locally and play with the navigation system?

I depends on what you think of as expensive. IIRC, each region (i.e. disc) is sold separately and is over $100. I seem to remember an option for buying a complete set for the entire country for around $800. It's been a while since I;ve looked into it, so I could be wrong.

The CD-ROM reader for the NAV discs is in the head unit and it can also play audio CD's. That alone can be worth having this unit over the standard radio where CD's have to go in the changer in the trunk.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Reply to
Vick