COMMAND System No Audio

Yesterday the audio stopped working for the Command System. No radio, CD, nothing. No sound but Command System appeared to be working normally. The video display was on, Navigation system was working (except for the audio), and all of the buttons seemed to function normally.

Here's what happened. I got in the car to go to work and put the key in to ignition. As soon as I did I heard an awful scratching sound come from all of the speakers. I then turned the car on and drove to work as normal. About halfway there I turned on the radio for the first time that day and no sound.

At the end of the day I got back in the car, turned the radio on and now it's working.

Took it to the dealer, Caliber Motors in Anaheim, CA and they said they have begun to see this problem. There was nothing they could do about it because even if they ordered another Command System it was on back order from Germany.

Should I be concerned that the dealer is even thinking about ordering a new Command System for my car even though it's working.

BTW. The car is and 2004 S430.

Reply to
Jim Morales

Fortunately the car is under warranty so why not take a new system when you already know the one in the car is flaky. There's no repair, its simply removed and replaced. What else can a dealer do?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Well, I would prefer not to have the dealer remove and replace the system without understanding the problem. Not that I don't trust them to perform the work, but I'd like to know that the problem is resolved first.

The dealer said that it may be a computer glitch because in turning the car off and on I effectively "rebooted" the computer. If so, then I would expect MB to have a software patch. Is that possible?

Reply to
Jim Morales

Possible, yes, probable??

Suggest you call MBUSA and ask them.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the reply. :)

Reply to
Jim Morales

The problem is well establisshed. You need new softwre which should be out in week or so.

I have a 2004 S 4Matic with same problem.

Reply to
Eliyahu Ross