Comments on Viano...

Dear ng,
I've been thinking about buying a Viano. I'd really appreciate any comments.
It's required to get my family around the country (UK) on long trips and
holidays. Wife has part time need of a wheel chair therefore we need a big boot. 2 kids (they need seats!).
Seems the diesel 2.2 Ambiente is the one to get in terms of performance, specification and economy. Not sure about wheel base, I guess the middle sized one looks a good bet.
So the questions are; - Anyone recommend the Viano in terms of reliability? - I'm used to an ML. Will a Viano go down medium sized Devon lanes OK? - What the reversing visibility / general parking like? - Any "must have" options? - Anything to avoid? - Any common problems/issues with the Viano? - Any other model / manufacturer that I should be considering? (e.g. VW Sharan). - I was thinking about the middle wheel base so I'd have some boot space left after a wheel chair was folded away (they're quite big) but given that I don't need the rear seats most of the time, would I get away with the short wheel base version?
Thanks for your attention.
--
David

I have a 2004 Vito 115 CDI which I use for my business, on which this is based, so I can't comment on the seat configuration or room in the back as I've got a van, however from the bulk head forward, save for a bit of carpet they are basically the same.
Absolute must:- Power fold mirrors, the mirrors are enourmous, I use this feature twice a day minimum.
Automatic was a must for me, just far more comfortable to drive. and much easier to operate with the foot operated parking brake.
I went for the automatic climate control.
Go with the comand system if it's in budget, the audio 10 is simply apalling, I replaced it after a month.
Nicest van I've ever driven, head and shoulders above anything else and it looks good too. With all the niceties of a viano it will be even better.
Bear in mind this is a van, so if the van's good, then thats a good starting point.
Alan M.
.