Compare 300D to 240D

My 1983 300D is out of commision for a while and it's looking like a "project"...the tranny kicked off. :-( I also have a "parts" 300D. In the meantime I was going to buy another old diesel Mercedes as a daily driver. Got a line on a 1982 240D for $2500 and a 300D for $3000. Both look good. The 240D supposedly has a new MB engine with only 35,000 miles on it. The

300D is still on first engine and never rebuilt also has a prestart oiler which I find odd.

I like 300Ds but never drove a 240D. I wonder if the lower horsepower of a

240D would be too slow. I live at high elevation (Denver) so that may be an issue for the non turbo 240D. Any comments from Diesel fans? Any comparison of the two would be great.

Thanks. Gotta' choose soon...I've been riding a motorcycle to work and could use something for when it rains!

Shadowjoe

Reply to
shadowjoe

You really need TURBO for your area... anywhere in CO needs Turbo... such high elevation leaves normally apirated engine wheezing and reduced HP... Let's say if your car is rated for 100 HP on sea level... then at 5000 feet... your HP is reduced to 70 PSI... something like that... don't hold me to that figure... it is substantial.

It is probably why Audi is popular in the area beside its Quattro system.

Why not buy a rebult tranny? I think I know one in your area... Silver Star Transmission - MB transmission rebuilder

(800) 369-6601

I think these guys are in CO... I believe $1000 for your tranny. Call them up and ask.

Reply to
Tiger

You really need TURBO for your area... anywhere in CO needs Turbo... such high elevation leaves normally apirated engine wheezing and reduced HP... Let's say if your car is rated for 100 HP on sea level... then at 5000 feet... your HP is reduced to 70 PSI... something like that... don't hold me to that figure... it is substantial.

It is probably why Audi is popular in the area beside its Quattro system.

Why not buy a rebult tranny? I think I know one in your area... Silver Star Transmission - MB transmission rebuilder

(800) 369-6601

I think these guys are in CO... I believe $1000 for your tranny. Call them up and ask.

Reply to
Tiger

Drive the 240D, only you will know if you can tolerate its anemic power.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

walking will get you there faster!!!!!!1

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

GASP!!!

A 240D is not slow - it is just not fast! ;-)

Juergen - W123 diesels from 55 PS up since 1983

Reply to
Juergen .

GASP!!!

I remember to have won all acclerations against pedestrians in the past 20+ years in W123 diesels with as low as 55 PS and auto trans!

Juergen ;-)

P.S.: Plus I have won most races against bicycles - and even aginst some motorized bicycles!

Reply to
Juergen .
240 D is rated at 67hp. Kinda anemic for a 3000 pound car. I drive a '79 240. They can do decent speed, just need plennnnnttttyy of room and time to accelterate! Just did an engine swap to a 300 turbo engine and like it much better. I can climb the local hills without becoming the hood ornament on a Kenworth.

If you are interested, I have an automatic trans from the 300SD that I got the engine out of. I'll sell it at a reasonable price. Just drop me a note.

Rochelle

shadowjoe wrote:

Reply to
R & K