Considering purchase of '78 280SL

Hi folks.
I am considering buying a 78 280SL from a family member. The fellow who owns it now bought it in 1988, and has always parked it in a garage. It
has over 100k miles, but I don't yet have the exact number. The body has no rust, and seems to be in great shape. It has a 6 cyl, and an auto transmission. He has both the hard top and the soft top for the car. To my knowledge, it has never been wrecked.
We are both still trying to determine what the value of the car is. Anyone care to offer a rough estimate?
What things should I know about this car? Are there any(many?) maintenence problems that are typical for this year and model? I have never owned a Mercedes, and I am a bit worried about the unknown. Are parts readily available? Do replacement parts cost an arm and a leg?
Thanks in advance.
I guess from your "comcast" address you are in the US. Country might make a difference to value.
But that age can't be worth much anywhere. Greater experts than I will probably chip in with estimates shortly.
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
The SL market letter has authoritative price guides for these cars in various conditions. John Olson tracks sales of these cars and has been compiling real world data of what the cars actually go for a good many years. It is the boble as far as prices for these cars go. Condition condition condition...