considering W126 purchase - minor problems

ahoy:

considering purchase of 1983 300SD (200Kmi) with some minor problems and would like to know what the fixes might cost.

the car steers well with no play or clunks, but drifts slightly to the right when going down a straight road. not a major pull (and does not pull under braking) but you cannot let go of the wheel and continue straight down the road. it probably needs wheel alignment? any idea what that would cost. what is worst case?

air conditioner needs charge but has not been converted. would i need to convert the system or can the old stuff be purchased? any ides of cost either way?

thanks very much, POE

Reply to
Ozmodiar

Check tire pressure... otherwise you need alignment job.

You can convert it for R134a with a cheap conversion kit... like $30 at Pep Boys.

Reply to
Tiger

200 klicks? It's just a baby.

It needs an alignment. Hopefully that is all it needs, worst case they may say "we can't align it till we replace your balljoints (or some such other hard suspension part) and of course as long as you have all this torn apart you really should replace the soft part - bushings and mounts; they're not partitularly expensive and the time to do it IS when the car is apart for other reasons.

This stuff snowballs fast, BUT, when you're done it does rise literally like a new S class which is fairly impressive. I have an 83 300SD as well and have done this and it is a wonder to behold frankly.

Not that much.

Here's a buyers checklist for these cars that may be helpful:

Richard Sexton

How good are the tires. Could be either an alignment, or a "radial pull". My car pulled to the left, then when I replaced the old tires, it drives straight and true. The tire pressures were fine.

Reply to
Thom