Coolant light problem Mercedes 300E 1992 110,000 mi.

Dashboard cooling light (yellow picture of water in a "can") comes on faintly then gets brighter as i drive but never fully bright. I live in California in a cool climate..Palos Verdes on the ocean. Indicator doesn't register abnormal high tempersture...around 80 of

120...where it has always been. I feel if I drove it longer i might have a problem. But 10 miles it should be fully heated or overheated...correct? Car works fine..I don't drive it over 10 miles before I stop. There is water in the well that I can see when I take the cap off (I wait till its cool) ...I ovefilled it a bit to see if that would help...good move? Thanks for anything you can help me with. I plan to bring it to a mechanic but I'd like your input first so I sound somewhat knowledgeable. Again, thanks in advance! Frank Does the light come on if it is overheating or if the water is low?
Reply to
fxmalone

It is a faulty sensor on the reservoir. Try replacing it (or your fuses), strip fuses cause strange electrical gremlins. The sensor is supposed to show level, when low it turns on.

Reply to
macdrone

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Reply to
fxmalone

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Reply to
fxmalone

I buy all my MB parts from Rusty at

Great store and great help if needed.

Reply to
macdrone

You probably don't have to replace the sender. I sounds like you broke the connector to the sender. As long as the pins make good contact you are probably ok as is. For parts at good prices and no sales tax I prefer these guys. I have dealt with them many times with excellent results.

L:uck Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek